Naila Kamal

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Naila Kamal

A resource for all things O&G!

3 posters

Cervical screening

Shazia

Cervical screening Empty Cervical screening

Post  Shazia Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:13 am

Hello,

Can someone just clear up what happens in the situation where a lady has 2 smear tests that come back as mild dyskaryosis. She is then sent for colposcopy as per protocol. Colposcopy then confirms CIN1...what happens next?

Is she treated with LLETZ etc? And if so, is it due to the fact that there is an increased liklihood of progressing to cervical CA because she has not regressed?

Thanks cyclops
    ks704

Cervical screening Empty Re: Cervical screening

Post  ks704 Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:40 pm

Hello,

This is a common case and it is a perfectly reasonable question...what do you do next?

The management options here should be agreed between the colposcopist and the patient, after all we have been taught about the importance of individual patient centred-approach. I doubt that there will be definitive guidelines in this case (unless Dr Kamal wishes to comment). For instance, I clerked a 25 yr lady who came in for a follow-up to discuss her cervical smear results. She was found to have mild dyskaryosis with evidence of HPV infection. Her history, otherwise, was unremarkable.

As suggested in Impey, she should come back for repeat smear in 6 mts but the Consultant was adamant to bring her back in 3 mts on top of doing a colposcopy. The guidelines change so often but certainly towards a more aggressive approach to treatment.

Back to your case, depending on the colposcopist and patient, they have the following options:

1. continue monitoring the patient as follow-up since 2/3 of CIN1 regress spontaneously as well as offering advice on the importance of barrier contraception to prevent any further STIs (since HPV is a STI). Smears can be repeated 3-6 mts, HPV testing every 12 mts and colposcopy every 6 mts. It also depends on how motivated the patient is to turn up to appointments.

2. remove the lesion using surgical intervention such as cryo, cone bx, lletz or leep (same thing) which are usually indicated in CIN 2/3. It is also important to warn the patient about risks and both major and minor complications of invasive procedures (i.e. standard vs specific).
    Hope this helps at all.

Best wishes,

KS
    Tutor Online
    Tutor Online
    Admin

Cervical screening Empty Further on Cervical Screening

Post  Tutor Online Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:17 am

If my expert Mr. KS has had his say, can I contribute 2 important websites which will answer all your queries....
    Also pay special attention on what type of questions are asked in the FAQ ...THis is similar to what often is required in examinations...explain to the patient type of questions...
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40025985/

http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/

Hope that is helpful........ pirat

Sponsored content

Cervical screening Empty Re: Cervical screening

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:32 pm